Blessed with rich, natural assets, South Australia has provided minerals and energy resources to the world for more than 150 years.
The state has a diverse and resilient mining sector headlined by significant deposits of copper, gold, iron ore, uranium, graphite and mineral sands. We are home to one of the world’s biggest copper, gold and uranium mines, Olympic Dam, and one of Australia’s significant copper-gold mines at Prominent Hill.
In the energy space, we are home to Australia’s largest onshore oil and gas province, the Cooper Basin. South Australia has 14 petroleum prospective basins, 12 of which are onshore. Two are currently commercial hydrocarbon producers.
South Australia also has world-class natural resources that are increasingly attracting investors in wind power, solar, geothermal and wave energy.
These vast natural resource assets are underpinned by a supportive, stable state government, a highly skilled workforce and a respected regulatory framework creating an environment for low-risk, sustainable investment.
In South Australia, you’ll find:
- 53% of the state’s energy produced from renewable sources
- the largest uptake of wind and rooftop solar in Australia
- a commitment to build Australia’s largest grid-scale battery, as part of a A$150 million Renewable Energy Fund
- 23% of the world’s and 80% of Australia’s uranium resources
- 68% of Australia’s economic demonstrated resources of copper
- a long term strategy to triple copper production to one million tonnes within two decades
- support for exploration through the highly successful Plan for Accelerating Exploration (PACE)
- globally-regarded robust and effective regulatory framework for oil and gas resources
- award winning providing vital geological and geospatial information
- South Australian Drill Core Reference Library, which hosts geological samples recovered from over 130 years of exploration for minerals and energy resources
- the Mining and Petroleum Services Centre of Excellence which supports the development of local supply chains to provide high value-added products and services to the resources sector.