Manufacturing has long been a key foundation of South Australia’s economy.
With a deep, technical skills base developed from the automotive and defence sectors, the industry provides a solid platform for new and existing manufacturers to grow and invest.
As a result, South Australia is developing and producing goods as diverse as water recycling equipment, premium wine, warships and submarines, agricultural equipment and health and medical devices.
Technology is playing a central role in the competitiveness of South Australia’s advanced manufacturing industry, supporting innovation, driving product and service development and improving performance.
South Australian researchers are leading the way in robotic vision powered by artificial intelligence, with the city of Adelaide being home to the Australian Institute for Machine Learning at creation and innovation neighbourhood, Lot Fourteen.
In South Australia, you’ll find:
- advanced supply chains developed over 100 years of manufacturing history
- a skilled and affordable workforce
- 25% of Australia’s specialist defence businesses and the largest share of the nation’s defence spend
- Australia’s centre for cyber security and defence technology research
- A$253 million State Government investment in Australia’s first innovation district, Tonsley
- affordable skilled labour costs compared with other capitals
- a critical mass of aerospace companies with strengths in engineering, test and evaluation, systems integration and throughlife-support
- a vibrant food and beverage processing and packaging industry
- leading levels on investment in renewable energy sources and low carbon initiatives