South Australia is Australia’s defence and space state.
Our state is home to the largest share of Australia’s total in-country defence material spend, with $90 billion worth of Australian defence projects to be carried out in Adelaide over the next 50 years.
Adelaide is the confirmed build location for Australia’s A$50 billion Future Submarine Program, to be delivered by French company Naval Group. The Future Submarines Project is one of the world’s single biggest military contracts.
We have an impressive list of defence contracts being executed in South Australia including the Offshore Patrol Vessels, Future Frigates, armoured fighting vehicles and aerospace projects. All underpinned by our state’s expertise in systems engineering, systems integration, defence electronics, cyber security and a highly skilled manufacturing workforce.
Going hand-in-hand with defence, South Australia is home to the Australian Space Agency located in the innovation neighbourhood Lot Fourteen, alongside a Mission Control Centre and Space Discovery Centre.
The state’s space sector is incredibly active with more than 70 organisations, companies and educational institutions and a workforce of approximately 800 people.
Our deep industrial capability is rapidly growing into a space innovation ecosystem that is well placed to lead future space industry development in Australia.
In South Australia, you will find:
- a skilled and affordable workforce
- advanced supply chains, developed over 100 years of manufacturing
- 25% of Australia’s specialist defence businesses
- the Australian Space Agency and Mission Control Centre
- Lot Fourteen – Australia’s only dedicated innovation neighbourhood
- Techport maritime industry park – with tenants such as ASC, BAE Systems, Raytheon, Babcock, PMB Defence and Ferrocut
- Space Innovation Fund – $1 million a year, for four years, to support training scholarships, incubation services and an accelerator program