South Australia is home to the largest share of Australia’s total in-country defence material spend, with Adelaide the headquarters for the majority of the nation’s defence manufacturing and technology research, development and investment over the next 20 years.
Adelaide is the confirmed build location for Australia’s A$50 billion Future Submarines Project, to be delivered by French company DCNS. The Future Submarines Project is one of the world’s single biggest military contracts.
We have Offshore Patrol Vessels and Future Frigates on our forward continuous build program, and are the nation’s centre for systems engineering, systems integration and defence electronics, including cyber security.
We have Australia’s leading manufacturing and support hub for armoured fighting vehicles and are home to the Army’s Land Combat Vehicle System program, LAND 400.
South Australia has a dynamic aerospace sector, underpinned by advanced manufacturing and electronics industries, making us a leader in intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance and electronic warfare.
Our deep industrial capability is rapidly growing into a space innovation ecosystem that is well placed to lead future space industry development in Australia.
In South Australia, you will find:
- a skilled and affordable workforce
- advanced supply chains, developed over 100 years of manufacturing
- 25% of Australia’s specialist defence businesses
- the largest share of Australia’s national defence spend
- the build location for Australia’s A$50 billion Future Submarines and A$35 billion Future Frigates
- Techport maritime industry park – with tenants such as ASC, Raytheon, Babcock, PMB Defence and Ferrocut.